Assessors - Excise Tax Information

A few things you need to know when applying for an Excise Tax Abatement . . .

 The state, not the Assessor, determines the value of your vehicle.

  • The value is a percentage of the original MSRP, not market value. 1st year = 90%, 2nd year = 60%, 3rd year = 40%, 4th year = 25%, 5th and remaining years = 10%.
  • Excise tax "follows" the plate, not the registration. As long as the plate is active, regardless of what you do with the vehicle and/or the registration expires, you will receive an excise tax bill.
  • It is YOUR RESPONSIBILITY to cancel the plate if it is not transferred to another vehicle or you move out of state. This can be done on-line at the RMV website.

When applying for an excise abatement you will need some or all of the following documentation depending on the situation:

  • A copy of the bill, plate return receipt, documentation showing what happened to the old vehicle (bill of Sale, letter from the insurance company, junk yard receipt, etc.), new vehicle's registration and a completed abatement application you can find on our website or pick up at the office. If you lack the documentation you will be asked to complete and sign an affidavit.

If you move to another Town in Massachusetts, you do not qualify for an abatement. The new town will bill you the following year. It is your responsibility to inform the Registry that you have moved or you will receive a bill from Wrentham.

If you leave Massachusetts and turn in your plate to the new state, you are still responsible for canceling the plate. Your new state won't cancel the plate.

If you trade in the vehicle and don't transfer the plate, for your own protection, we suggest you get the Plate Return Receipt from the dealer or insurance company when you pick up the new car. We have had instances where the plate was never cancelled or "got lost in the pile" for several months.

Again, the Excise Tax Bill Follows the Plate, NOT the Registration!