Wrentham History Timeline

Sep 3 1635 Dedham is established by General Court of Massachusetts Bay Colony

February 1, 1668 - Mehitable Shears born, she was the first white child in Wollomonopoag

February 10, 1673 - First burial in Wrentham Center Cemetery, infant son of John & Mary Ware

October 17, 1673 - Wrentham is incorporated as a town

December 4, 1673 - First Wrentham Town Meeting

February 22, 1676 - Battle with Indians at Indian Rock (now in Franklin)

March 30, 1676 - Wrentham abandoned during King Philip’s War

April 13, 1692/3 - First church organized (Congregational)

July 19, 1723 - Edward Eaton (Heaton?) of Wrentham hanged as a pirate at Bull’s Point

February 16, 1738 - 24 Church members released to 2nd Precinct, which became Franklin

December 7, 1753 - Francis Nicholson dies, his will gives slave Cesar Chelor his freedom

December 22, 1753 - Stoughton (Dorchester) land set off to Wrentham (most became Foxboro)

February 17, 1756 - Ensign Beriah Ware first burial at Great Plain, became Gerrould Cemetery

August 2, 1760 - Incoming Royal Governor Francis Bernard spends night in Wrentham and is escorted by a troop of guards led by High Sheriff Stephen Greenleaf

September 29, 1769 - Cumberland and Wrentham Baptist Church organized

December 28, 1772 - Wrentham votes for “Committee of Precinct Correspondence”, being Jabez Fisher, Lemuel Kollock and Thomas Man

April 19, 1775 - Wrentham Minutemen march to alarm at Lexington / Concord

April 5, 1776 - Gen. George Washington has refreshment at Man’s Tavern, Town Center

March 2, 1778 - Franklin incorporated

June 10, 1778 - Foxboro incorporated

December 1, 1782 - The first division of the French Army camps in Cobb’s Field on their march from Yorktown to Boston, now the area of Franklin and Archer Sts.,

May 18, 1791 - Severe earthquake in New England

September 22, 1815 - Severe storm in Southern New England

November 1, 1832 - Wrentham‘s first bank incorporated

November 29, 1863 - Trinity Episcopal Church organized

August 11, 1867 - “The Great Fire in Wrentham Center”, Bank, Hotel and Boot Factory

April 18, 1876 - Whitings Pond dam bursts $100,000 damage from Wrentham to Millis

February 23, 1870 - Norfolk incorporated

October 27, 1873 - Wrentham 200th celebration on Common ruined by strong wind and rain

January 18, 1878 - Straw shop burns down on Common St.

December 1, 1890 - Wrentham Center’s first passenger train

March 23, 1892 - Wrentham Public Library established by Town Meeting vote

January 23, 1893 - Wampum Corner railroad station opened. Later called “The Wharf”

December 6, 1898 - Holly Club organized

May 30, 1900 - Electric Street railway service established to Lake Pearl Park

May 8, 1903 - Wrentham Fire Dept. established

April 4, 1905 - Plainville incorporated

September 5, 1905 - Anne Sullivan (Teacher) buys first East St. farm for Helen Keller

June 6, 1907 - Wrentham Water Dept. established by Town Meeting vote

August 15, 1919 - Last electric streetcar Wrentham to Foxboro

August 16, 1919 - First scheduled bus service in Wrentham (to Foxboro)

April 26, 1922 - Wrentham Police Officer Nels Swenson killed by car accident while on motorcycle patrol

November 1, 1924 - Wrentham National Bank robbed, Cashier James Carpenter shot to death

December 8, 1930 - St. Mary’s Roman Catholic Parish established

June 9, 1933 - Brown’s Straw Shop behind Common St. burned to the ground

September 21, 1938 - Hurricane of ’38 strikes Wrentham with great damage but no deaths

April 22, 1941 - Wrentham Lions Club chartered

June 9, 1953 - Tornado at Wampum Corner and other areas with 20 injured

March 28, 1956 - Construction contract signed for King Philip Regional High School

April 5, 1964 - Wrentham hires first 3 full time firefighters

February 6-7, 1978 - Blizzard of ’78, 44 inches of snow fell with drifts over 10 feet.

* some dates could be in contention